Re: git: need 1.6.2 for cygwin

John Bito <jwbito <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I encountered a problem that caused my GitHub repository to be
> unusable after a push.  The GitHub folks indicated that my use of git
> 1.6.1 together with JGit 0.4 may have caused the problem.  I could use
> msysgit 1.6.2.1, but I like Cygwin and would prefer to continue with
> that. Could you please let me know if git 1.6.2 for Cygwin might be
> available in the next week or so?

I make no promises on my time schedule, but yes, I would also like to release
git 1.6.2.2 soon.  But there are still reports on this list of a reproducible
crash that I am still trying to understand, even though it doesn't impact my
personal usage of git.  Meanwhile, remember that this is a volunteer effort.
Among things competing for my free time are completing updated cygwin packages
for coreutils 7.2, findutils 4.5.4, and bash 4.0; keeping up with upstream
maintenance on m4 and autoconf.  And don't forget to throw $DAYJOB into the
mix.  Just to give you a realistic picture of how unpredictable my free time
can be, my original goal was to release m4 1.4.13 in January, but I did not get
to it until April 1st; on the other hand, I recently had a lot of free time, as
evidenced by the upstream releases of both autoconf 2.63b and m4 1.4.13 in less
than one week, along with a flurry of several of my cygwin packages.

In the meantime, you can compile the latest git from sources yourself on cygwin
(I do that myself; I'm comfortable using a self-built git that meets my needs,
even when I don't know why it is crashing for others on the list).  And by
building your own copy, you end up neither waiting for me, nor using msysgit.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin git maintainer