cygwin 1.7 fstat weirdness

Hi,

I'm trying to get tokyo cabinet running.  I have a strange error.  One
of the test utilities does:

  #define TCFILEMODE     00644             // permission of a creating file
  int fd = path ? open(path, O_RDONLY, TCFILEMODE) : 0;  // path = "Makefile"

and then fstats:

  if(fstat(fd, &sbuf) == -1) {...}
  else {
    if (!S_ISREG(sbuf.st_mode)){
           printf("is dir %d\n", S_ISDIR(sbuf.st_mode));  // added for debugging
           ...etc...
  }}

What's weird is that fstat says ./Makefile is of type S_ISCHR .  I
tried the same code in a test program and could not reproduce it.  I
suppose this is a permissions/security thingee, but then again why
would it falsely report that a regular file is a character special
file?  (The fd is 3)  Looking at the Windows security settings I can't
see where the problem is.

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,

gregg