Re: [1.7]: /usr/bin/install fails on network drives

Corinna Vinschen schreef:

>> Are these Samba shares by any chance?  I can reproduce this only
>> for Samba shares, not for remote Windows NTFS drives.
>
> Oh, btw., install works fine for me, only mv complains with "failed to
> preserve ownership".  Your above example also doesn't show any error on
> install...

I've tried several shares. Only on one of them I get an
error with install:

//ecn/groups/g_zon_software/cygwin17/zz3.txt
install: setting permissions for
`//ecn/groups/g_zon_software/cygwin17/zz3.txt': Permission denied

When I look at the properties of this share it says it uses DFS (Distributed File System). This drive shows the access bits as -rwxrwxrwx, the others have -rw-r--r--

with all of them I see the Permission Denied on mv.
I have to ask our administrators for more details.

I have an idea why this occurs, at least in my configuration.
My Linux user account under which files are stored is not equivalent
to my Active Directory account since I'm not running winbind.

Are you using a winbind mapping from Windows SID to uid/gid?

One of my shares is a hosted on a unix system with a different
account, I'm not sure whether winbind is run. On this share, I have the mv issue only.