Re: sshd problems on specific host [1.5.25-15]

On Thu 3/19/09 12:13 EDT cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:
> On 03/19/2009, Tom Rodman wrote:
> > This snip from cygcheck.out:
> >
> >   Potential app conflicts:
> >
> >   ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall
> >   Detected: HKLM Registry Key, Named file.
> >
> > is interesting/important!?; but I have searched the entire
> > registry for 'ZoneAlarm', using regedit and have found nothing;
> > also checked add/remove programs.  What does it mean?
>
> Make sure you don't have ZoneAlarm installed.  If you do, uninstall
> it.  Otherwise, I expect it's kruft leftover from an incomplete or
> poorly written uninstall.  If that's true, you may be able to clean
> it up by either installing and uninstalling the current version of
> ZoneAlarm (assuming they've fixed any problem in their uninstall
> process) or you can try one of the registry cleaners that are out
> there.

ZoneAlarm is not installed.  I searched the registry for
ZoneAlarm, and do not recall finding much other than the Cisco
VPN client.  Don't think ZoneAlarm was ever installed. I did not
address this; it still shows up in cygcheck.

I do not know what caused or fixed the problem.

--
The problem vanished without a reboot, after a number of changes
I made - all the changes were done w/o logging the current (non

  - disabled and uninstalled a number of firefox add ons;
    one of these was the AVG link checker ( my hunch is
    that this may have fixed it; unless just logging out did )
  - disabled "resident shield" AVG virus checker
  - installed and configured 'noscript' for latest firefox 3.x
  - uninstalled MCI remote access client, and Cisco VPN software
    (doubt the MCI client was at fault, but I no longer needed it)

The problem went away and never came back (without rebooting) only
when I logged the current user off the console and logged in as
an admin user.  It's been  over 10 days and the problem has not
returned.

--
thanks,
Tom