RE: sed converts 8-bit input text to 16-bit (Unicode-16?) characters - how to suppress that?

> Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:10:43 +0200
> From: corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: sed converts 8-bit input text to 16-bit (Unicode-16?) characters - how to suppress that?
>
> On Mar 30 13:48, Michael Moser wrote:
>> I need to mangle a file containing "8-bit ASCII" characters (i.e. the
>> file contains also characters in the upper 8-bit range, namely a few
>> umlauts as well as some french accented characters).
>>
>> Strange enough, the SED version that came as part of cygwin emits the
>> result of the mangling using 16-bit characters (I believe those are
>> Unicode-16 characters, but not sure. The Hexeditor shows each second
>> byte as always 00, execpt for the first two bytes which read FF FE).
>
> This is very likely not Cygwin's sed. Do you have another sed in $PATH
> by any chance? I tried with input files containing german umlauts and
> sed does not convert to wide char and it does not produce a BOM marker
> at the start of the file.

On a related note, sometimes "which" gives or gave confusing results if you don't have the relevant "x" permissions set
( chmod 777 fixes everything LOL  )

I know I've never seen this problem with sed and in fact
use it with no special options to replace "0x00" in unicode
files and it works fine ( apparently the windoze registry
is unicode and if you ever need a set of verbose, highly
redundant strings it is a good place to look ).