Re: gcc4: missing atomic builtins?

On Mar 29 09:55, Andy Koppe wrote:
> > ?Well, I guess the question is, what's the minimum level of CPU we want to
> > support, and I can configure the next version --with-arch that level, and as
> > long as it's >=486 we'll be ok. ?I think the question is mainly "686, or is
> > there any reason to have 586 as the minimum supported CPU"?
>
> Windows 2000 and XP only require 586. Can't imagine many people using
> them on a Pentium machine though, and the 686 CMOV instruction would
> be nice to have. Also, should -with-tune be set to something recent?

The last i586 was built in 1999 and had a 300 MHz clock rate.  The i686
has been introduced in 1995 and in 1999 the P3 had a minimum clock rate
of 450 MHz.

I don't think we really need a default compiler and a default installation
sticking to the old i586 design any longer.  And, btw, is there any
Linux distro still using a i586 compiler?

If there are really still i586 users out there, hey, it's all available
in sources.

Corinna

Red Hat