Re: ls -lR too slow

Dave Korn wrote:
Vinod Gupta wrote:

When I do "ls -lR /cygdrive/z" it takes very long.
There are only about 700 files on Z: totalling only 100 MB. When I
monitor network counters on laptop, I see that a whopping 90 MB were
downloaded for a payload (file list) of only 60 KB. Out of curiosity, I
did the same experiment between two linux machines configured as NFS
client+server.

Perhaps more instructive would be to compare with typing "DIR Z:" in a DOS prompt. How much time does that take, and how much network traffic does it generate, by comparison?

If the OP is looking for truer comparisons with Linux, I would say that using SAMBA on Linux is a better test than NFS. Of course, Cygwin is expected to be slower than Linux regardless.

In terms of overall time/traffic with Cygwin, I'd recommend comparing the
results of "DIR Z:" that Dave recommends above to "ls /cygdrive/z" (or
"DIR /S Z:" to "ls -R /cygdrive/z").  If you need to use "-l" with "ls"
and remote SAMBA shares, I'd recommend adding "smbntsec" to your "CYGWIN"
environment variable.  This should limit file accesses that "-l" (and other
flags) can require.  See the link below for more info:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>

Holliston, MA 01746