Re: How can I ssh to a Windows box?

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Wilfried wrote:

Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Michael Hennebry wrote:
I've discovered that if I kill the demon,
I still get timeout from the outside,
but connection refused locally.

If you can login to ssh locally but not from the outside, perhaps your Windows' firewall is blocking this.

That was my thought, too, but it seems to be correct and turning it off didn't help. Could I be missing a similar flag somewhere?

I haven't been able to restart the demon:
/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writeable.

You must give the files the correct ownership and access rights: In cygwin, issue:

cd /
chmod og+w /tmp
touch /var/log/sshd.log
chown system:system /var/log/sshd.log /var/empty /etc/ssh_h*
chmod 755 /var/empty

Define the service with the command

cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd

It was already installed, so I used --remove first. It was running after the last reboot.

Start the service by

cygrunsrv -S sshd

No go. Win32 error 1062 I tried again after making the rest of /etc system:system . Same no go.

Stop the service by

cygrunsrv -E sshd

-- Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu "Pessimist: The glass is half empty. Optimist: The glass is half full. Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."