pdf tools follow up question

After playing with pdftk briefly it looks like it will be
suitable and the man pages provide
links to follow information ( someone have better suggestions?),

  pdftk    uses    a  slightly  modified  iText   Java   library
       (http://itextpdf.sourceforge.net/)  to  read  and write PDF. The author   compiled this Java library using GCJ (http://gcc.gnu.org) so  it  could     be linked with a front end written in C++.
  The pdftk home page is http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/.
AUTHOR
       Sid Steward (ssteward@accesspdf.com) maintains pdftk.

I did want to affirm my earlier IIRC comments.

If you go get this document,

  wget -O 541.pdf -S -v "http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p541.pdf";

and try to select a column of text, you end up with a column the
width of the whole page making it impossible
to get a single coherent piece of text ( worse than
top posting ). I had a reprint from a science journal and
checked that with same "Reader 9" software you could
select individual columns.