maximum number of concurrent network connections

Hello,
I am trying to write a asynchronous server using python's asyncore/asynchat library and running it under cygwin. It runs perfectly for upto 353 concurrent hosts connected to it, but is unable to connect to anymore hosts trying to connect to it.

Is there a limit on the number of concurrent sockets an application can have open? Am I hitting that limit, and if so is there a way of modifying this limit.

This is on server 2008 with cygwin 1.7. I am happy to provide any other diagnostic information as needed.

Thank you,
Sameer