RE: Setup - command line only

Kevin and Nancy wrote on Monday, February 23, 2009 11:13 AM:

> Ok, I take it back.  "setup.exe -q" will work on an SSH remote
> connection.  It remains to be seen if it actually updates packages,
but
> a GUI setup display did not appear on the the local Windows display
with
> a remotely invoked "setup.exe -q".  Thus, I question if "setup.exe -q"
> on a remote SSH session will actually update anything.  Cygnus for
> Windows is "da bom" in my book.  You guys have been great in your
> comments.  Usually postings like this for me results in virtual blank
> stares.

We have a system that uses rlogin to update remote machines with 'setup
-q' and it works just fine. Since setup is a Windows app, it displays on
the remote machine. Of course, when using -q, there isn't much to see
but a flickering window as setup non-interactively goes through the
install/upgrade process.

Setup even returns an error condition if anything went wrong.

A couple of gotchas, though:

*) Since setup remembers the last download location and mirror, etc., it
is a good idea to use the command line flags to set these options every
time, so you know exactly what it will be doing.

*) Running setup non-interactively will bypass warnings (IIRC) about
files-in-use, so if you've got Cygwin processes running, you will need
to reboot after upgrading. You'll have to check the setup log files to
see if there were any files-in-use. Obviously, though, the ideal
situation is to stop all Cygwin processes before running setup :)

HTH

>> I have seen the options that allow to expedite the update process
with
>> a command line, and the GUI is still displayed.  I don't think this
>> works if you're trying to use these options from a SSH remote access,
>> i.e. you'd still need access to Windows to run the setup so the GUI
>> can be displayed.  (I'm not sure on this point exactly.  Seems like I
>> tried it.)  I will look a the link for the source, to see how
>> difficult it may be to assist.
>> Kevin

>>> That's true but I believe the OP was lamenting that there wasn't a
>>> version that didn't still have the GUI even when run from the
command
>>> line.  If I'm wrong, then I'm sure you've made the OP's day. :-)

--
Bryan Thrall
FlightSafety International