gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program

Hi all
I  am having trouble with gcc and  the simplest of programs in C.
To test my gcc  installation, I tried this program:

Code:
----

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
 {
	printf("Test this") ;
	return(0);

 }

followed by

gcc test.c -o test.

I  get  some strange errors which  goes like:

test.c: In function `main':
test.c:5: error: stray '\168' in program
test.c:5: error: `Test' undeclared (first use in this function)
test.c:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
test.c:5: error: for each function it appears in.)
test.c:5: error: parse error before "this"
test.c:5: error: stray '\168' in program

Had this got something to do  with unrecognised double quotes?
Can someone provide some  guidance on how to resolve this.

Help much appreciated!