Help with cygheap base mismatch on Vista 32-bit

Every program I've tried in my cygwin installation (1.5.25-15) gives
base mismatch errors on my Vista Home Premium 32-bit system. Cygwin was
working fine but then I uninstalled Symantec AV (free trial ran out) and
installed BitDefender instead, and then cygwin stopped working with this
error (everything other than cygwin continues to work). Bash starts up
but doesn't properly run anything, including the bashrc script. Typing,
e.g., bin/ls, gives several base mismatch errors. Reinstalling didn't
help. I downloaded a completely new version and installed fresh, but
still the same problem. Running rebaseall fails with a similar error.
I'm stumped and can find nothing on the Internet to help. The closest
was an old unsolved post from 2006, "Cygwin on Vista",
http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/250144-Cygwin-on-Vista/ Most
of the other references are to 64-bit Vista but I have 32-bit Vista and
cygwin used to work. There's only one cygwin1.dll on my disk. Any
suggestions what to do?

Here's what bin/rebaseall says when run from ash, which itself was run
from a Windows command prompt:

     17 [main] ? (9808) c:\cygwin\bin\ash.exe: *** fatal error -
cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x20788E0/0x20D88E0.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the
cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
      2 [main] ? (-2056) c:\cygwin\bin\ash.exe: *** fatal error -
cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x20788E0/0x21488E0.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the
cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
-1955431563 [main] ash 8052 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp
before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
$