Re: [1.7] New documentation available

On Feb 13 10:03, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> - The User's Guide.  It should be fairly complete now.
>>  http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html
>>
>> - The API reference. ...
>>  http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-api/cygwin-api.html
>>
>> - The new FAQ.  ...
>>  http://cygwin.com/1.7/faq/faq.html
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Will there be a release-notes document giving some user-visible
> changes from 1.5 to 1.7?  I think you listed them, plus notes on
> internal restructuring, in the first 1.7 announcement on this list.

Erm... I'm listing them with *every* new 1.7 announcement and I try to
keep it fresh with every change made.  But you're right, it might be a
good thing to add this to the official docs at one point.

> Is there anything to know about upgrading from 1.5 to 1.7?

Yes, it's pretty stable, but it's still a test release.  The really new
stuff from a pure user POV are all the changes to the path handling
(long paths, case sensitivity, /etc/fstab), the new methods for user
authentication and last but not least IPv6 support.

I suggest to read the new docs really carefully.  It's quite a bit of
change.

Corinna

Red Hat