Re: CygWine 1.0 Beta -- an new cygwin package manager

> I'm taking a quick browse through the code.  I see that you've based it on chunks of the core setup.exe code, somewhat refactored and restructured.

Yes, a lot of non-UI code were migrated from setup.exe.

> I wonder ... do you think that would be practical?

I think you made a wonderful proposal.

I'd like to see a common 'setup engine' separated from setup.exe, and
besides GUI front-ends, a console front-end is also necessary ( like
yum and apt-get in Linux, they are very convenient )

I suggest split current setup.exe to three components :

    * setup engine dll (which expose native C API, maintains package
install/remove/upgrade, dependence, download cache, notification
callbacks etc.)

    * setup console app ( just a front-end, process command line
options, main functions should implements in 'setup engine dll' )

    * setup GUI app ( GUI front-end )

Regards,

Brant