Re: MinTTY feature? Or bug?

Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
Interesting feature or bug of MinTTY that does not obtain with any other
terminal emulator with which I'm familiar.

To wit:

If you have a running synchronous script or command to the screen and you
type ^l (Ctrl-l) it will immediately clear the screen before the ongoing
command terminates.

My feeling is that it doesn't matter, but that the behavior is different
from other virtual terminals.

I've had a look at this: it's a feature that MinTTY inherited from PuTTY. PuTTY emulates features of a whole range of terminals from VT100 through to VT510, and also the so-called 'SCO ANSI' (from before SCO became a dirty word).

Apparently the latter interprets the echoed ^L as an actual form feed, whereas all the others just do a linefeed. (There's a separate sequence for clearing the screen, which bash sends when it sees a ^L being typed.)

The default compatibility setting includes 'SCO ANSI', hence the behaviour you're seeing. I'll take it out in the next release.

Andy