Re: environment problems mixing mintty and xterm

Lester Ingber wrote:
However, if I run mintty from my xterm window I have some problems.

For example, say I have open xterm (from startxwin.csh) with
xterm +tb -j -sb -geometry 80x84-6+0 &
this sets LINES set to 84.

If I have set up .minttyrc with
Rows=100
then after I go to my mintty window and back to my xterm, my xterm window
is messed up, e.g., top rows under `less` are off the screen.

There is no such problem, when running xterm, if I open an additional
mintty window as a Windows shortcut since it seems to open independently
-- without taking on the environment variables in my xterm window.

Thanks for the problem report, although I'd prefer to get these via the issue tracker at http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues/ .

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. A Unix process only receives copies of its parent's environment variables and it cannot change the originals, so the problem isn't caused that way.

Window size changes are signalled to the child process through a call to ioctl() on the child's pseudo terminal (pty), which triggers a SIGWINCH signal in any processes controlled by that pty. Perhaps something is going awry there.

Does the LINES variable in the xterm change immediately after invoking mintty, when you change mintty's size, or only after exiting it? What command line are you invoking mintty with?

Andy