Re: fetchmail and cygwin

Gary,

Please see the following:

    http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 03:23:19PM -0800, gary marbach wrote:
> Hi. I'm a newb at trying to use Cygwin and fetchmail.  I was checking
> out an article on Cygwin and it seemed like something that could help
> me get my email data out of gmail...so, I thought I'd give it a try
> with Fetchmail.  I'm sure I've messed up the setup somewhere, based on
> the result I'm getting back when I execute the Cygwin command to start
> up fetchmail.  I was hoping you could help me figure out what I've
> messed up on?
>
> The contents of my .FETCHMAILRC file are:
> poll imap.aol.com with proto POP3 and options no dns
> user paulinemarbach with password xxx is Owner here options ssl
>
> The result of my query is what I have stored in the attached JPG file
> (hope that presenting it that way is acceptable).

The preferred way is to cut and paste the text -- there was no need to
use an image to convey the pertinent information.

For the archives, the following was the error message:

    fetchmail: getaddrinfo("imap.aol.com","pop3s") error: nodename
    nor servname provided, or not known

> When you get a second, could you see if  I've done something obviously
> incorrect?  I also tried it against my gmail account and that also did
> not work (same failure).

Try adding the following to your services file [1]:

    pop3s             995/tcp                           #POP3 SSL

YMMV, the above worked for me, but unfortunately not for another Cygwin
user:

> Thanks so much.

You are quite welcome.

Jason

[1] The services file is located on my system in:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services

Note the location could be different on your system.

Jason