Re: setup.exe 2.573.2.3 signature failure

George R Nelson wrote:
> As a newcomer to cygwin, my attempts to download from ctgwin.com or a
> number of mirror sites all failed with signature errors. WHy do I get
> this problem? The error I get is:
>
> Setup.ini signature http://cygwin.com/setup.bz2.sig from
> http//cygwin.com failed to verify.

  You can't actually install directly from the main cygwin.com site!  You
have to use one of the mirrors.  The error message is misleading; it should
have complained earlier when it couldn't download setup.bz2, and not gone on
to try (and fail) to verify the non-existent signature for the
non-existent file!

> On a related topic, is there any way to change the URL for the
> download? Or do you just add download sites then highlight the one you
> wish to use?

  Well, you shouldn't just add sites by guesswork at all!  The standard list
of site should be filled out with the entries derived from
http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst, and you should just select one from the list by
highlighting it.

  Reading some of your replies downthread, I think the problem is twofold:

1.  For some unknown reason, setup.exe failed to fetch mirrors.txt and
therefore couldn't populate the list of default sites.

2.  When you started adding mirror sites manually, you got the syntax wrong.
The links on http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html just point to the front page of
the mirror sites, if you enter them in the text box in setup.exe it won't work
because it needs the full path to where the cygwin release directory lives on
the mirror.  If you look at http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst in a browser, you'll
see that the full syntax usually includes a directory path as well as the
mirror name.

    cheers,
      DaveK