Re: setup.exe 2.573.2.3 signature failure

On 01/16/2009, George R Nelson wrote:
There's only few points I wanted to follow-up on here, since it seems like
you've gotten resolutions to your start-up issues in one form or another.

Did I ever say Cygwin = Redhat. I think if you read carefully that I
said I downloaded Cygwin from the Redhat site (following a link on the
Cygwin home page - third link down on the left-hand column).

Actually, I didn't say that you said Cygwin = Red Hat (and at the risk of being accused of being antagonistic, it is Red Hat, not Redhat.) The fact that Red Hat has an association with the project and has their own version of the software that they distribute and sell support for is exactly the point I was trying to make. I'm not suggesting that you were somehow inappropriately looking at Red Hat's offering, just that you were really mixing two separate things that shouldn't be mixed and that doing so wasn't going to help you. While I think this is clear to you now, I wanted to answer it for others that might come across this thread and have similar confusion.

My apologies for taking up time and bandwidth. I have an installer
that works and will resolve any other issues I have with Cygwin
myself.

It seems you've misinterpreted my responses. I was not lambasting you for not reading documentation. I was pointing you to Cygwin documentation that addressed some of the specific issues you raised. As you say, there is allot of documentation there and there are allot of posters here who don't read it or even if they do, miss some key points. So I was pointing to some specific things that I thought would help you with some specific problems you mentioned. But my pointer to <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> was actually in response to your general inquiry for help with some C sources you were building and the issues you were having getting things to link. Perhaps I needed to be more direct there but I try hard not to cover the same ground that is already covered in existing links. OK, my bad. Let's see if I can rectify that with you. You need to provide specific code, command line invocations of the compiler/linker, and error statements that are emitted in this process, in addition to basic boot-strap configuration information requested at the above link, in order for someone on this list to take a stab at what the solution to your problem might be.

Well, that's all I can do.  I'll bow out of this thread now, in case you
want to continue it with someone else, taking into account the information
I mentioned that will be needed for someone else on this list to continue
fruitfully.  I would ask, if I could, that you read this link before replying:

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

I realize that I only included the placeholder in my original reply to you
and that this was the reply that you felt was lambasting you, so you had
little incentive to heed my follow-up which included it. But other
responders to you would likely appreciate the courtesy.

Good luck,

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746