Re: MinTTY 0.3.3

Michael Lemke wrote:
I just don't get it. What's wrong with rxvt? I've been using it for years as my only terminal for cygwin and never understood why it isn't the default. I tried mintty the other day but couldn't find anything rxvt isn't doing.

MinTTY's main distinctions compared to rxvt are its native Windows look and feel and the options dialog (which among other things allows you to configure it in an Xish way).

Now of course both those things are a matter of personal preference and experience, and if you have rxvt looking and working the way you want it to, they obviously won't be able to tempt you over. My main aim with MinTTY is to help integrate Cygwin better into its Windows environment and thus make it more approachable both for Windows users as well as for Linux/Unix users who are accustomed to terminals like KDE's Konsole or gnome-terminal.

There are a few more advantages/differences though:
- Drag&drop and copy&paste of files and folders into the MinTTY window (as first seen in Konsole).
- xterm-compatible encoding of modifier keys.
- Unicode support. (Of course there's rxvt-unicode, but that needs X.)
- Midnight Commander displays correctly.
- MinTTY is smaller and faster. (Does that matter? Probably not.)

And just a little helping of eye candy:
- Window transparency (which can be disabled when the window is active).
- Fullscreen mode.

In fact, mintty kind of froze on something eventually

Any details you might remember would be much appreciated in the interests of bug fixing.

Andy