Re: Empty include file on samba share

Fabian Cenedese wrote:
At 11:28 08.01.2009 -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

<snip>

1. Your installation is outdated. You may have better luck if you upgrade.

I might try that, but I guess I need to rebuild the tools to use 1.7.
I have now used gcc 3.4.3. and 4.1. with exactly the same cygwin1.dll.
They both could compile without showing these errors. So I guess cygwin is not at fault.

OK, good to know.

2. You seem to have competing tools installed and to not have Cygwin tools
  in your path.  These two things make it unclear what parts of Cygwin
  are actually in use in your scenario.

Why do you say competing tools? There's only 1 cygwin1.dll in the path. And the other cygwin tools are not needed. gcc, as, ld etc are all in the same directory, built with the same environment.

Your installation is grabbing tools from 'C:\programme\rtksupport\' and 'N:\IMD\Bin\'. These match Cygwin counterparts but aren't overridden by the Cygwin tools in your environment. This can lead to strange failures if these different sets of tools with different requirements interact.

3. Since you mention your share is just a "samba share", I'm not sure if
  you mean it's from a Linux machine or simply a Windows server with a
  FAT* partition.  If the former, have you tried using NFS?

Yes, it's a linux file server with samba shares, underlying FS probably ext3. I have not tried NFS as we mostly use windows and we have customer reports with the same problem that only use windows (no linux server).

Perhaps 'smbntsec' would be a help there, though it may only be useful if it is set prior to unpacking stuff into those remote locations (or if unpacked on that system locally under Cygwin, you may need to make sure you have that user in your '/etc/passwd' and/or set the POSIX permissions appropriately.)

4. Are you sure there aren't network issues here?

Do you mean IP-address conflicts? Or what else? As the windows network doesn't show problems the basic setup seems fine.

I mean anything that could cause sporadic, intermittent drop-outs. This could certainly explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks for the help, I'll start looking into gcc changes.

Does sound the most promising, though it's not clear to me why gcc would be having problems here.

Holliston, MA 01746