Re: SSH V.5.1 with Cygwin1.dll 1.7.0(0.189/5/3) 2008-12-09: Very large logon times...

On Jan  7 11:02, Carsten.Porzler@spb.de wrote:
> I just compiled the cygwin sources from the latest snapshot for testing.
> It seems to be working...
>
> So, please tell me the debugging statements I have to insert into the
> source code to figure out where the logon process takes the time.

The idea is to add statements along these lines

  debug_printf ("CHECKPOINT 1");
  debug_printf ("CHECKPOINT 2");
  debug_printf ("CHECKPOINT 3");
  [...]

liberally across the functions in the winsup/cygwin/sec_auth.cc file,
with the starting point being the function lsaauth(), line 912 in recent
sources, so that we can track down where exactly the time is wasted.
After you added these statements all over the place, stop sshd, install
this new DLL and then, before starting sshd again, tweak the following
registry entries:

  HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sshd\Parameters

  AppPath  ==>  "/bin/strace"
  AppArgs  ==>  "-o C:/sshd-strace.out /usr/sbin/sshd -d"

Note the old entries before so you can restore them afterwards.

Now log in exactly once and log out again.  Afterwards, the sshd process
will have stopped automatically (that's what the lowercase -d does).
Note that it takes *much* longer to login when running under strace.  Be
(even more) patient.

After each run, examine the CHECKPOINTs in the C:/sshd-strace.out file.
The left two columns show times in milliseconds which denotes the time
it took to get to this statement, relative to the last debug output and
relative to the process start.  At one point you will see that these
numbers between two CHECKPOINTs are unusual high.  That means, the
culprit of the delay is somewhere between these two CHECKPOINTs.  Now
let's play stepwise refinement and add more of these CHECKPOINTs between
the other two and reiterate the steps above, until you think you nailed
it down to a certain part of the DLL, or even a single Windows function
call.

For a start, add these, relative to the current code in CVS:

  syscalls.cc, line 2616:

    debug_printf ("CHECKPOINT 9999");

  sec_auth.cc, line 945:

    debug_printf ("CHECKPOINT 0");

  sec_auth.cc, line 1177:

    debug_printf ("CHECKPOINT 9998");

I assume the delay occurs either when trying to get the logon server
information (function get_logon_server, line 180), or when connecting
the logon server to fetch group information (function get_user_groups,
line 225 and function get_user_local_groups, line 313), so it might be a
good idea to add more CHECKPOINTs there.

When you think you found it, I'll take another look into it and
hopefully this can be fixed easily.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat