Re: Dodgy adding a package to Setup.exe

Paul Keeble wrote:
Environment
Windows XP
Setup.exe - 2.573.2.3 (Unix,

Currently what I do is have a setup.exe + release directory that contains
all of the packages downloaded. When we install to another machine we
choose all the local packages, and hence we have a nice simple(ish)
definition of what our system uses in the cygwin packages and a way to
install it. However due to a problem in csih I would like to have a
custom package that replaces the script file, This is not a bug in csih,
its a special case for terminal services disabling that I would like to
be seamless. There seems to be two basic approaches - 1) Add a new
version of csih into the release directory and say that this is the
latest version in the setup.ini, 2) Add a whole new package that replaces
the file/uses post install to replace the file file.

I have tried both approaches but in both cases when doing an install from
local my version did not appear, and nor did my package. My ideal
scenario was that I can put a tar.bz2 into the release directory in the
right place, modify the setup.ini and it'll show on the list and I can
use either post install or file replacement to achieve my goal. I can't
find an error in my tar.bz2 or the setup.ini but if it should work that
would be good to know that its possible to do this way.

Submitting this as a real package I maintaining it doesn't make any sense
as no one else needs this change. On the other hand I need the change to
be installed on many machines and I would like it as seamless as possible
and hence a custom makes sense until 1.7 is production ready and fixes my
specific issue.

How can I achieve what I am trying to do?

It's not immediately obvious to me why what you're doing isn't working for you but it seems to me that you've ignored one option that may be the easiest of all to implement - change the existing package without changing the version. Of course, you may need update the md5sum in 'setup.ini' to make this work.

Holliston, MA 01746