Cygwin on a mobile drive: formatting options?

Rather than install and maintain Cygwin on several desktop machines that I use, I travel from one to another with one copy of Cygwin on a mobile drive. This is formatted FAT32 as I don't need the grief NTFS provides for file access and attribution. A 40G drive is glacier-shift slow, a 100G drive was lightning, and the latest 500G drive is slow. All 3 are formatted using Linux fdisk + mkdosfs, as this is so reliable. To my surprise all 3 drives allow the user to select either FAT32 (option "b" in fdisk) or FAT32(LBA) (option "c"). ["Surprise" because naively I thought LBA was an engineering option restricted to large capacity magnetic drives only, and not solid state flash drives like the 40G.]
Question: Can anybody tell me whether "b" or "c" is better for access speed or offers any perceptible advantage over the other?
I don't mind being told to pursue this thread on cygwin-talk [but it is not intended to be "funny", apparently a requirement of that list] or being told that it is off-topic, in which case where should it be pursued?
Thank you.
Fergus