RE: MinTTY

Andy Koppe wrote on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:49 PM:
> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>> 5a. I'm good with Windows installers.  You want I should whip one up
>> for you?
>
> That would be great, since I haven't got a clue about how to do that.
> Ideally it would be a .msi that installs just the exe and the readme
> into %PROGRAMFILES%\MinTTY and puts a shortcut to the exe directly
> into Start Menu\Programs.

Please don't make this the only way to install this.  Some of us (e.g.,
yours truly) do not have permissions that allow installation into
%PROGRAMFILES%.  And although I haven't tried it since that directory
became restricted, I suspect that I no longer have permission to
"execute" .msi files.

In part, that's why I asked about making it a cygwin package.  I know
that I can install *them*.  But if one *must* use a windows installer,
please make it possible to customize the installation.  And be sure
that non-Administrators can install.

<OT>Really, they've been making our computers so secure that I expect
soon they will be unusable; sometimes if seems like the better part of
a minute to get the Start Menu to pop up!  I can't wait for them to
figure out that the only truly secure computer is one with no network
access, no removable disks, and a blank hard disk.  But I digress.</OT>

I know that discussion has already started on making MinTTY a cygwin
package so this post is, in many ways, a waste of bandwidth.  But I
thought I'd post anyway, in case efforts veer back towards a Windows
installer.  I thank you for your patience and tolerance.

Unrelated:  I apologize for having mentioned PuTTYcyg and started that
fork of this thread.  It's not like I use it or really care.

- Barry