RE: MinTTY

> From: Warren Young
>
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> > I think the only reason to use cygwin.bat is to set the cygwin
> > environment variable before bash starts.  There's no way to do that
> > with a shortcut is there?
>
> In this case, it could be one of MinTTY's settings, because
> it can set up the environment before calling bash.

Yes, but there's the complication of "CYGWIN=" settings that have to be set
before the Cygwin DLL even loads.  I don't know how many of these 1.7 will
obsolete, but it's something that probably requires some cogitation before
implementing.

> For that matter, MinTTY could also provide GUI access to bash
> command line flags, a way to change the login shell by
> modifying /etc/passwd, etc.

It could be glorious!  Well, or overachieving ;-).  For me it'd just be
great to have a nice terminal that didn't require an X server and had
Windows native-y configuration and copy/paste.  We'll get to that 21st
century yet!

--
Gary R. Van Sickle