RE: printf goes to serial port?

> From:  Alex Martin
>
> Well, I was using a port monitor to debug some of the traffic
> between my serial device, and my software, when I noticed the
> output accidentally.
>
> I am not sure when the behavior started. It used to work
> fine, I was using printf to debug things, then I turned off
> all of those printf statements, and continued development on
> the gui side (fox toolkit) of my application, and then had to
> go in and modify my low level serial class and was trying to
> get my printf debug output again, to no avail.
>
> I have updated cygwin a few times, otherwise I cannot think
> of anything specific.
>
> What other details can I provide?

Well, whatever details you have.  I'm still in "pull mode" here, which isn't
conducive to problem-solving.  So far I've been able to gather:

1.  You are developing some sort of app that communicates over a serial port
to some other device.
2.  You "have a cygwin environment".
3.  The app has a GUI, using something called "fox toolkit" (with which I am
not familiar).
4.  You had debug printf()s that used to work, then a bunch of stuff
changed, and now they work differently.

A few gaps that need filling before anything better than SWAGs can come your
way:
- Is this app a Cygwin app, or is Cygwin involved only perhiperally (e.g.
you're using Cygwin make to run the MinGW toolchain), or is Cygwin not
directly involved at all and you're saying "My non-Cygwin-related app was
working fine, I changed a bunch of stuff in the app and also upgraded
Cygwin, and now the app is broke and I'm thinking Cygwin could be to blame"?
- Since your app is a GUI app, where did you expect your printf()s to go?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle