Re: POP Rmail in Emacs

> Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:21:06 -0500
> From: Ken Brown <kbrown at cornell dot edu>
> CC: eliz at gnu dot org
>
> On 12/19/2008 3:27 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > I guess this is an ample opportunity to call for volunteers to come on
> > board and help maintaining the Cygwin build of Emacs.  As of now, the
> > Cygwin build has some known ``stability issues'' (read: it sometimes
> > crashes during the build or in routine operation), and there's no one
> > on the Emacs development team who has enough knowledge and/or time to
> > fix these Cygwin-specific problems.
>
> For the record, let me point out that it's been possible for several
> months to build a stable emacs for cygwin using gcc-4.  This was first
> announced on this list by Angelo Graziosi [1].

Yes, Angelo deserves a lot of kudos for his efforts, but unfortunately
much more is needed.  For example, even though it is possible to build
a Cygwin version now, if you are willing to install specific versions
of development tools, the following entry from etc/PROBLEMS in the
Emacs distribution would not sound very good to me if I were a Cygwin
user who needs to decide whether to install Emacs:

  *** Building the Cygwin port for MS-Windows can fail with some GCC versions

  Building Emacs 22 with Cygwin builds of GCC 3.4.4-1 and 3.4.4-2 is
  reported to either fail or cause Emacs to segfault at run time.  In
  addition, the Cygwin GCC 3.4.4-2 has problems with generating debug
  info.  Cygwin users are advised not to use these versions of GCC for
  compiling Emacs.  GCC versions 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.1.1, and 4.1.2
  reportedly build a working Cygwin binary of Emacs, so we recommend
  these GCC versions.  Note that these versions of GCC, 4.0.3, 4.0.4,
  4.1.1, and 4.1.2, are currently the _only_ versions known to succeed
  in building Emacs (as of v22.1).

Feel free to update this entry for recent versions of GCC, but
personally I would stay away of a package that has problems with so
many versions of the compiler.