Re: cygwin and cygwin-xfree lists to merge

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:56:37PM -0000, Phil Betts wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:49 PM::
>
>> The historical reasons for merging the cygwin and cygwin-xfree lists
>> no longer seems to exist so I am contemplating merging the two lists.
>>
>> If anyone has a compelling reason why this should not happen please
>> send it to one of the two lists.  If I don't hear a coherent argument
>> against doing this, I'll throw the switch over the weekend.
>>
>> Btw, I'm only mildly sympathetic to arguments like "It will be more
>> email for me".  I'm more concerned with having to constantly shuttle
>> people back and forth between the two lists.  Unless there is a
>> compelling argument to the contrary, I think that the fact that people
>> are confused about which list to use outweighs the increase in email
>> traffic for people who just want to hear about cygwin/x.
>>
>> cgf
>
>Although I currently have rules to put the two lists in different mail
>folders and it works well for me, but I'd also be perfectly happy with
>the change.  There are plenty of borderline issues where it's not
>clear (to the user at least) whether the problem is X related or
>cygwin related, so a unified list removes any need to speculate.  With
>the 1.7 release now officially available for public test, there are
>bound to be issues in X apps, where the cause is really in the cygwin
>DLL, so merging the lists asap will save everyone having to play the
>guess-the-list game.
>
>A couple of things to consider (although you're probably way ahead of
>me):
>
>Will mail sent to the xfree ML email address be diverted (or mirrored)
>to the cygwin ML?  Human nature being what it is, it's unrealistic to
>expect everyone replying to an old thread to remember to change the
>To: line.

No, there will be no cygwin-xfree list to mirror to or from.  And, given
the responses in this thread, I won't be automatically subscribing anyone.

So, maybe I shouldn't have used the term "merged".  If this happens the
only thing that will happen is that cygwin-xfree will disappear from
http://cygwin.com/lists.html and we (i.e., I) will stop performing the
delightful task of being an off-topic traffic cop.

>Also, what will happen to the archives?  Will they be merged too?

No.  That would be a herculean task.  The cygwin-xfree archive would just
stop at some point.

cgf