Re: Public Cygwin 1.7 test starts today

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

after a rather long period of time of development,

Is this going to change for the next major release? There's an awful lot to absorb in this one.

- No more support for Windows 95/98/Me.

Awesome.

Can you talk about the positive consequences? Obviously there's a lot of backwards compatibility stuff you can now ignore, and undoubtedly a lot of compatibility code that you were able to remove. I see some features in the following list that I suspect were made possible by this, but it'd be nice to have a list of what we get for being able to drop this cursed loadstone.

Is Cygwin now significantly faster?

- Mount points are no longer stored in the registry.

Intensely awesome.

Is there anything else in the registry that makes it more difficult to clone a Cygwin installation than just copying c:\cygwin{-1.7}?

- unlink(2) and rmdir(2) try very hard to remove files/directories even
  if they are currently accessed or locked.  This is done by utilizing
  the hidden recycle bin directories and marking the files for deletion.

Profoundly awesome.

- File locking is now advisory, not mandatory anymore.

Jaw-droppingly awesome.

- Support UTF-8 in console window.

Mind-explodingly awesome.

- Detect and report a missing DLL on process startup.

Exceeding all normal bounds of awesomeness.