Re: Question Regarding Known_Hosts file

Well I'm trying to completely get rid of the services and all from the
Vista box, I have XP on the new one. And I've tried changing the
permissions under Vista on the Security tab, but when I go to hit
Apply/OK it tells me that I'm unable to because I don't have
permission even though I'm on the Administrator account. There are
three users on the security tab listed: All, Unknown Account, and
None. All and None have only the Read right, and Unknown Account has
the full control right but I'm not sure what the Unknown Account is or
how to access it. Anything I try to do with the file is denied. Rename
it, move it, delete it, you name it and it'll get denied.

*************************************************************************************************************
Andy Molina wrote:

    For a couple of days now I've been trying to completely remote the
    Cygwin client from my home computer as I acquired another box to put
    the SSH services onto. I've been able to finally get into the
    C:/cygwin/var/empty/.ssh directory which used to be restricted before,
    but now I've only gotten into the directory to find out that the file
    Known_Hosts is only readable to Admin/my account and Read and Write
    priveleges are set to an Uknown Account. I am running Windows Vista ,
    and please help me as this is frustrating me and I don't want to
    reinstall Windows just because of this one file. I've attempted to
    give read and write permissions to every one, to administrator
    accounts, etc... but it wont let me.

Sounds like you're trying to use files directly on your old machine
from your Vista machine.  As you know, ssh is quite picky about
permissions and as you've found, Vista is pickier than XP about
permissions. ;-)  One option is to copy the files over to the Vista
machine.  Otherwise, have you tried taking ownership of the
files/directories using the Windows permissions tab?  Once you own
them, Vista will let you do what you want with them.

Holliston, MA 01746