Re: dd fails with iflag=direct

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> I fixed that in CVS for Cygwin 1.7.  Apparently when reading over the
> end of a drive (but not a partition), Windows decides to return a weird
> error code ERROR_CRC instead of just returning EOF.
>
> For Cygwin 1.5.25, the workaround is not using iflag=direct but standard
> buffered reading.  It's much faster most of the time anyway.

Ok, thanks. I'll be on the lookout for 1.7.

I'm mostly using this in situations where getting all possible data is more important than speed (a single bad sector in buffered mode usually causes a much larger region to be reported as unavailable), so unbuffered is preferrable.

--
Andrew Medico <a.medico@gmail.com>