Re: [OT] polite response to rather rude reponse...

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 03:11:28PM +0000, Robinson, Paul T (NonStop) wrote:
>cgf wrote:
>>We tend to react strongly to suggestions that Cygwin, which runs in user
>>space, could cause something like a BSOD.  Windows is far from a perfect
>>OS but running a simple user program should not crash it.  That doesn't
>>mean that there it is impossible for a simple user program to crash it
>>but if Windows crashes, it's a serious Windows bug not a program bug.
>
>Pedantically, it's a serious Windows bug, but does not let the program
>off the hook.  The program could be using Windows in some unanticipated
>incorrect way.  Correcting the BSOD in Windows would then change the
>symptom to something less devastating, but the program would still need
>to be corrected.  (Speaking as someone who once took out a timesharing
>system three times before the operations staff asked me nicely to stop
>exercising the bug in the OS.)

If you want to recite personal experiences about crashing operating
systems or generically talk about programming philosophy please move to
cygwin-talk.

Otherwise, do some research in the Cygwin sources and you'll see just
how many accommodations have been made for strange Windows behavior.  No
cygwin developer needs to be lectured about this.

Seriously, this discussion is a rat hole.  I will take drastic steps to
shut it down if necessary.

cgf