Re: FW: How to display Russian Cyrillic and Chinese in Cygwin Bash Console?

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Is the third time a charm! I hope so. I forgot to turn off HTML
> again!
>
> I apologize if this query appears again. Since I saw no replies (and
> not even my own posting) after checking my spam filters, I assume it
> never got to the list (Maybe I forgot to turn of HML the first time
> too!)
>
> Is it possible to do this (display Russian Cyrillic and Chinese) at
> the cygwin console prompt? I hear it is not possible at CMD.EXE
> prompt. I'm not sure how the bash console is implemented in cygwin
> but if it is running CMD.EXE underneath and CMD.EXE cannot do it, the
> outlook is bleak! I was really suprised to learn that CMD.exe cannot
> do it and I question the accuracy of my source.
>
> I did some searching and experimenting and I cannnot figure out how
> to do it with the cygwin bash console. I have posted a similar query
> on the XFree list because I would like to do it both in xterm and the
> cygwin bash console (is there a better name for this since it could
> be running some other shell?)
>
> Thanks, Siegfried

Hi Siegfried,

Install rxvt and use that instead. I believe there's a unicode package
of it in Cygwin - it should have no trouble displaying cyrillic or
chinese characters.

You can convert your existing Cygwin startup script to launch rxvt
instead of starting bash in a CMD prompt, or you can change the shortcut
to start rxvt straight away - this way you don't have a 'phantom' cmd
window hanging around..

There have been messages about doing so in the past, and a quick google
should turn something up.

HTH,

Chris