FW: How to display Russian Cyrillic and Chinese in Cygwin Bash Console?

Is the third time a charm! I hope so. I forgot to turn off HTML again!

I apologize if this query appears again. Since I saw no replies (and not even my own posting) after checking my spam filters, I assume it never got to the list (Maybe I forgot to turn of HML the first time too!)

Is it possible to do this (display Russian Cyrillic and Chinese) at the cygwin console prompt? I hear it is not possible at CMD.EXE prompt. I'm not sure how the bash console is implemented in cygwin but if it is running CMD.EXE underneath and CMD.EXE cannot do it, the outlook is bleak! I was really suprised to learn that CMD.exe cannot do it and I question the accuracy of my source.

I did some searching and experimenting and I cannnot figure out how to do it with the cygwin bash console. I have posted a similar query on the XFree list because I would like to do it both in xterm and the cygwin bash console (is there a better name for this since it could be running some other shell?)

Thanks,
Siegfried