Re: setup v2.573.2.3: Postinstall: "abnormal exit: exit code=126"

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 09:20:39PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
Well, one of the problems with both cygport's current automatic handling of info files, and the _update-info-dir metapackage, is that nobody ever runs install-info --remove. And really, I don't see any way a metapackage like _update-info-dir could ever do so -- How does it know what I *used* to have installed, that now is installed no longer? It can't parse my existing dir file, can it?

_update-info-dir deletes the dir file before it creates it. The only way an obsolete .info file can be added is if it somehow was not removed by setup.

Oh, I didn't know that was how _update-info-dir worked. I knew it called install-info on every info file, but somehow I thought install-info was idempotent. So, there would be no need to delete the dir file before doing that.

But if it deletes the dir file, then there really is no point in ANY .info-file-related shenanigans in postinstall or preremove scripts.

--
Chuck