ctrl-c terminates ssh session using cmd.exe login shell

Using cmd.exe as the login shell, ctrl-c terminates the ssh session (rather than being propagated to the process on the remote server).

I have read that the shell is not a Windows console but rather a Cygwin pseudo tty session.  Hence there is no Windows console signal handling to take care of the ctrl-c.  Hence ctrl-c is sent to ssh.

My question is - is there some way to work around this?

For example, running bash as the login shell, and then running cmd.exe, does not fix the problem (as expected).  Nor does using rxvt (as expected).

Is there any way to get a functional cmd login shell - With working arrow keys, ctrl-c, edit, etc?

Thank you for any insight into this problem.

Stephen