Re: Download Cygwin once and intall it several times

peterpan1616 wrote:
I'm a bit confuse.
I was thinking that setup.exe was a sort of wizard able to download
what you want and selecting the options 'install' he download ALL.
Now I'm not sure. If I use a program like wget, I obtain all from the
repository but how match the dependency?
If I download cygwin today on this machine and tomorrow I download
again from the same mirror in another location, if I choose 'install',
setup could download exactly the same things.
Or setup make a check in the directory root where cygwin is installed.
In this case, setup have to finish with NO DOWNLOAD.
For me make confusion that today download  same package and tomorrow others.
Where is the bug?

'setup.exe' uses '/etc/setup/installed.db' to figure out what's already been installed on the machine you're running 'setup.exe' from. If you installed everything yesterday, run it again today, and no packages have been updated on the repository, nothing will happen. That's what you expect. And this is exactly the functionality that makes the current implementation of 'setup.exe' "not a mirroring tool" as I've stated.

You described a scenario where you use 'setup.exe' to _download_ packages
to your local directory (repository) and then want to use that set of
packages to install on another computer (i.e. you're using it like a
mirroring tool).  Downloading is not the same as installing and the fact
that 'setup.exe' will download packages for you (either as part of the
install task or as a separately initiated download task) doesn't mean it
doesn't pay attention to what's already installed on the machine your
using.  If you plan to use 'setup.exe' as a mirroring tool, you'll have
to refrain from installing Cygwin on the machine you want to use "setup
as a mirroring tool" on (or be willing to rename '/etc/setup/installed.db'
every time you want to use it in this way).  In general, you're probably
better off with a good mirroring tool that will download what you want
the way you want it without mucking around with bookkeeping files that
'setup.exe' uses.  Of course, the choice is yours.

No matter _how_ you choose to download the Cygwin packages, you still
want 'setup.exe' to _install_ them.  Using 'setup.exe' and pointing to
you local repository will allow you to select the packages you want
and it will handle the dependencies.  Your problem has been that your
local repository doesn't contain some of the packages that are required
to make a working installation ('ash' for example).  If you're missing
required packages, it doesn't matter whether you want to install
everything from your local repository or just a portion.  The result
will be a broken installation - as you've seen.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746