OpenSSH installation under X64 Vista - can't log in

I am having a problem similar to that reported by Kevin Hilton at the
following URL:
    http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2007-12/msg00552.html
Like Kevin, I have set up openssh in the past several times with Windows XP
without difficulty.  I have tried setting it up with Vista several times
without success.

The computer is a HP DV9700 series notebook running x64 Vista Home Premium.
It is running CounterSpy 2.5.1043 active protection.  Having this software
turned off does not affect the result below.

Here is the procedure I have followed:
A TCP port 22 was opened in a previous installation.

Otherwise, I completely uninstalled cygwin according to the FAQ here:
    http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all

Logged in as user with administrator privilege.
Downloaded setup.exe
Selected All Users.
Selected c:\cygwin\pkg as local package directory.
Download from www.gtlib.gatech.edu.
Took defaults, except added openssh, zlib, and tcp_wrappers
Logged off and on - Cygwin shell icon now appears on desktop.
Set CYGWIN system environment variable to: ntsec tty
Added c:\cygwin\bin to Path.
Checked CYGWIN and Path settings.
Opened a Cygwin window with "run as administrator."  This caused it to set up
    my home directory with .bashrc, .bash_profile, and .inputrc.
Entered "ssh-host-config -y".
After generating in /etc the files ssh_host_key, ssh_host_rsa_key, and
    ssh_host_dsa_key, the script gave an error saying it could not find
    the program cmp, so I should install diffutils.
Installed diffutils.
Reran ssh-host-config -y.
    Now it created in /etc the files ssh_config and sshd_config.
    It complains that /etc/passwd and /etc/group are not readable by all, quit with
        ERROR: Problem with LocalSystem or Administrator IDs.
Used chmod +r as suggested on these files.
Reran ssh-host-config -y.
    It recreated ssh_config and sshd_config.
    It complains that the permissions on /var are not correct.  Says they
        must match the regexp d..x..x..x.  Exits.
Changed permission on /var.  Now dr-xr-x--x.
Reran ssh-host-config -y.
    It recreated ssh_config and sshd_config.
    It complains that "The owner and the Administrators need to have
        .w. permission to /var run.
Executed chmod ug+w /var/run.
Reran ssh-host-config -y.
    Stops with the following question:
        mv:try to overwrite `/etc/sshd_config', overriding mode 0550 (r-xr-x---)?
    Responded yes
    It asks for a different name for sshd_server (because of the -y option):
        I told it to use sshd_server.
    It asks for a password for sshd_server and I gave it one (shelby0558)
    It says that the sshd service has been installed.
net start sshd: this was successful
Ran mkpasswd -cl > /etc/passwd
Ran mkgroup --local > /etc/group.
    Says permission denied.
Ran chmod u+w /etc/group
Ran mkgroup --local > /etc/group
Closed administrator shell.

Open user shell (same user as administrator).
Verified that sshd is running.
Ran ssh-user-config
    Asks if it should create a SSH1 RSA identity file.
        no
    Asks if it should create a SSH2 RSA identity file.
        no
    Asks if it should create a SSH2 DSA identity file.
        yes
    Says creating id_dsa.
    Asks for a paraphrase (shelby0558).
    Asks if I want to use this identity to login to this machine.
        yes
    It says "Adding to /home/Jason/.ssh/authorized_keys.

Closed user shell.
Opened user shell.
Ran ssh -vvv localhost 2> test.log
Resulting test.log file content is below:
-----------------------------------
OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8h 28 May 2008
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/Jason/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/Jason/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /home/Jason/.ssh/id_dsa.
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug3: key_read: missing keytype
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type 'Proc-Type:'
debug3: key_read: missing keytype
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type 'DEK-Info:'
debug3: key_read: missing keytype
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug3: key_read: missing keytype
debug1: identity file /home/Jason/.ssh/id_dsa type 2

I have tried RSA1 and RSA2 keywords previously with a similar result.

Any help will be appreciated.