RE: Mapping of Windows Domains?

| > The fact remains that I'm stuck with a 2.5 year old version of CygWin.
| > I've described the problem in two posts, but haven't managed to find a
| > solution. Since the above is evidently a non-starter, have you any idea
| > how to get round this problem? Alternatively, what changed in this area
| > with CygWin 1.5.18-2? Thanks for your time.

|   Wait, are you saying it still works if you revert your cygwin DLL?

That's right. I continue to use CygWin 1.5.18-1 and it works fine with our
network file server. Every CygWin update since then doesn't ("permission denied"
on the network share).

| I was
| assuming something must have changed on your server since that version was
| released, but maybe your server is actually configured to give read access
| to world/none, and the checking actually is being done at the cygwin end?

The network file server reports appropriate Windows permissions for D1\kjt. I
think the problem is that I'm authenticated as D2\kjt, and that user isn't
allowed to access files with permissions for D1\kjt.

| If that's the case you might be able to fix it up by fudging your
| /etc/passwd so that it says D1\kjt instead of D2\kjt - the SID will still
| point at D2\kjt in any case.

I've played about with /etc/passwd, domain SIDs, etc. without success. I think I
tried your suggestion at some point, but it's worth revisiting as I've lost
track of the things I've tried over the last couple of years. Thanks again.

--
Academic Excellence at the Heart of Scotland.
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,