Re: Updating cygwin from a remote shell?

Hi there,

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Thomas Walker wrote:
>
> > ... I did a decent amount of looking through mailing lists but
> > couldn't find anything relevant.

Been there too. :)

> > ... want to be able to add new features ... and would like to be
> > able to easily update cygwin and/or install new packages onto the
> > Windows/Cygwin boxes from a remote shell.

Ditto.

> > I know I can setup VNC and all that fun stuff and run setup.exe but is
> > there an easier way? The usual yum, apt, up2date, etc. don't seem to
> > be options...
>
> There is no yum, apt, up2date, etc. You don't need VNC. RDP is already
> on XP machines. Use rdesktop(1).

I've been struggling with these same issues for some years.  I manage
a network for a business which is located a few hundred metres away
from mine, and we use a radio link for the connection between us which
means there are no connectivity problems.  Even so, however, if I use
rdesktop to connect to their Windows 2000 server and I'm not _very_
careful how I close down the rdesktop session then the server crashes.
This is really inconvenient because the server does relatively mundane
things like recording production information and the times when people
clock on and off as they arrive for work and leave.  Sometimes they
take it personally...  Of course I've suggested upgrading to a later
OS but that's a very expensive exercise.  So I use ssh for everything
that I can do with ssh, and avoid logging in with rdesktop except in
dire emergency.  If there's something that I can't do with ssh then I
schedule the work to be done on site when I can physically go there
and not be in the way too much.  That sucks, especially as they plan
to move the server to another site two miles away in a few months.

If there are any tips for a safer way of connecting to a Windows 2000
server to do routine upgrades of Cygwin and other remote admin that I
can't do using ssh, I'd be very happy to hear them.

--

73,
Ged.