Updating cygwin from a remote shell?

Apologies if this is a newbie question... I did a decent amount of
looking through mailing lists but couldn't find anything relevant.

I'm a Linux/Unix person by hobby and profession and don't really do
much Windows but my family (living in another state) is still rather
Windows centric.  A hard disk failure ago I decided to place a dirt
cheap headless Linux box with mirrored raid on their network and setup
cygwin on their Windows machines so that I could cobble together an
easy backup solution based on cron, ssh, rdist, and fuse.

That all works fine and has done so for some time.  I'm a little bit
of a security nut though (and sometime also want to be able to add new
features for myself and for them) and would like to be able to easily
update cygwin and/or install new packages onto the Windows/Cygwin
boxes from a remote shell.

I know I can setup VNC and all that fun stuff and run setup.exe but is
there an easier way?  The usual yum, apt, up2date, etc. don't seem to
be options...

Thanks.