Bash startup problems on Windows 2008 server

I tried installing cygwin (the current setup.exe from www.cygwin.com) on
a freshly installed Windows 2008 server.

The installation started normally, and I didn't see anything strange
until I was going to check up on the progress.  Then the cygwin setup
window was gone.

There was no desktop icon, but there was a start menu entry.  When I
selected the "Cygwin Bash Shell" entry, a command line window flashed up
and disappeared.

I tried running the install again, using all defaults from the original
install.  I got no error messages, but again no desktop icon was
created.

Trying to select the start menu item, gave me the same command line
window popping up, and then disappearing.

I started cmd.exe and ran bash, and got the following (which looks
similar to what's displayed in the window that opens and disappears):

C:\Users\myuser>\cygwin\bin\bash
      2 [main] bash 3832 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VI
OLATION
    480 [main] bash 3832 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to bash.exe.sta
ckdump
 408620 [main] bash 3832 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VI
OLATION
 425466 [main] bash 3832 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Error while dumping state (
probably corrupted stack)

Anyone has any idea what might be wrong here?

Thanx!

- Steinar