RE: cannot find iconv() function

> David Collin wrote:
>
> I've had some troubles compiling gtmess, a program available at
>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gtmess/gtmess-0.94.tar.gz?download.
> Assuming it would compile "out of the box", I uncompressed it and
> immediately jumped into the newly created directory to do a ./configure.
> All seemed to go well until I got the following error: "configure:5547: error:
> cannot find iconv() function". I gave the configure file a quick look to see
> what the script was actually doing at that point. But as I read through it,
>I found out that, to make this configure check, it called upon another
> program/script to make this check, and this goes beyond my
> cygwin/programming knowledge (note that this is my own interpretation,
> it may or may not be right). I also compiled the iconv lib found at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/ and using this one instead, but
> without any success. It may also just be that the program is not compatible
> with cygwin at all, who knows? Not me for sure! Anyway, if anyone experienced
> could look into that, I would really appreciate it. Attached to this email is the
> config.log file. I also tried to attach the configure script but apparently, the
> cygwin mailing list program didn't like that. This was done on a Vista x64
> ultimate machine with the lastest stable release of Cygwin, 1.5.25-15. Thanks in advance,
>>
> There's a bunch of docs and FAQs at the bottom of your e-mail, which you
> appear to have ignored. If you are using the cygwin 32-bit compiler, did
> you open up the cygwin setup menu, and check that your libiconv package is
> up to date? If that doesn't solve it, there's advice in those FAQs about
> how to ask for help.
> If you're actually compiling using some 64-bit compiler, or even a
> non-cygwin 32-bit compiler, this is off topic.

Thanks for the reply,

None of these mentionned FAQs and docs were ignored, but an error or 2 may
happen, especially for new mailing list users. The compiler I am using here
shouldn't really matter for now as I only tried to run a configure script that
generated an error in no way linked to a compiler. But to answer your
question, I am using the cygwin packaged version of gcc. As for my libiconv
package, it was already up to date when I first tried to run the configure
script. Thanks,
David