Re: cannot find iconv() function

David Collin wrote:

I've had some troubles compiling gtmess, a program available at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gtmess/gtmess-0.94.tar.gz?download. Assuming it would compile "out of the box", I uncompressed it and immediately jumped into the newly created directory to do a ./configure. All seemed to go well until I got the following error: "configure:5547: error: cannot find iconv() function". I gave the configure file a quick look to see what the script was actually doing at that point. But as I read through it, I found out that, to make this configure check, it called upon another program/script to make this check, and this goes beyond my cygwin/programming knowledge (note that this is my own interpretation, it may or may not be right). I also compiled the iconv lib found at http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/ and using this one instead, but without any success. It may also just be that the program is not compatible with cygwin at all, who knows? Not me for sure! Anyway, if anyone e
xperienced could look into that, I would really appreciate it. Attached to this email is the config.log file. I also tried to attach the configure script but apparently, the cygwin mailing list program didn't like that. This was done on a Vista x64 ultimate machine with the lastest stable release of Cygwin, 1.5.25-15. Thanks in advance,

There's a bunch of docs and FAQs at the bottom of your e-mail, which you appear to have ignored. If you are using the cygwin 32-bit compiler, did you open up the cygwin setup menu, and check that your libiconv package is up to date? If that doesn't solve it, there's advice in those FAQs about how to ask for help.
If you're actually compiling using some 64-bit compiler, or even a non-cygwin 32-bit compiler, this is off topic.