Re: Extra spaces in text files in cygwin

On 2008-06-10, gmarsha11 wrote:
> The backticks contain the actual command that I run.
>

> I'm not sure about the file's encoding.  How do I tell?
>
> When I create a new file with vi, I can read the file with no problem.  The
> output is normal.
>
> These particular text files that I am working with were created by HP Data
> Protector.  I can easily parse and manipulate these files on HPUX servers,
> but the Windows servers lack that functionality.  I thought Cygwin would
> help with this.
>
> How do I tell what the file's encoding is?

You can look at the contents of the file in binary using

   od -t cx1 abc.txt

for example.  When I do this, I get the following:

   $ cat abc.txt
   This is abc file

   $ od -t cx1  abc.txt
   0000000   T   h   i   s       i   s       a   b   c       f   i   l   e
           54 68 69 73 20 69 73 20 61 62 63 20 66 69 6c 65
   0000020  \n
           0a
   0000021

You can see that in this case, the character coding is ASCII.

HTH,
Gary