Re: how can I stop Windows setting HOME?

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:14:57AM -0700, Karl M wrote:
>Perhaps Cygwin should give first priority to /etc/passwd (reversing 1
>and two).  This would put things more in the hands of the Cygwin user.
>
>If Cygwin did not have so many defaults (with the change to 1.7.x) then
>it would be less useful to smply drop a cygwin1.dll file into some
>random place (by 3PPs) and cause other problems.  Does it need to look
>anywhere but /etc/passwd (after finding fstab and other stuff)?

You know, I think that's a really good point!  How about if we just
remove all of the HOME stuff entirely and rely on /etc/passwd, just
like, you know...?  I've always hated the hoops we jump through trying
to get HOME right.

Thank you, Karl, for making this suggestion.

cgf