Re: how can I stop Windows setting HOME?

2008/6/6 anadem <anadem@gmail.com>:

> Each time I boot my pc Windows sets the HOME environment variable to my
> "Documents and Settings" directory, which screws up cygwin. Before I can use
> cygwin I have to do the My Computer/Properties/Advanced ... etc stuff and
> delete HOME from my User variables. Otherwise cygwin sets my $HOME to
> Window's idea of HOME, which is a pain in the neck.
>
> Is there any way to permanently unset the HOME env-var in Windows? I could
> run a batch file at startup but afaik that would not be a systemwide removal
> of HOME.

I don't think XP sets a var called HOME by default.  It sets HOMEPATH
and HOMEDRIVE - and in some cases HOMESHARE.

Have you checked autoexec.nt?

C:\Documents and Settings\adamt.MDHLP83>echo %HOME%
%HOME%

C:\Documents and Settings\adamt.MDHLP83>echo %HOMEPATH%
\Documents and Settings\adamt.MDHLP83

C:\Documents and Settings\adamt.MDHLP83>echo %HOMEDRIVE%
C:

I've looked in my environment variables in the system properties and
can't find anything called HOME.

I also tried:

C:\Documents and Settings\adamt.MDHLP83>set | findstr HOME
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\adamt.MDHLP83

C:\Documents and Settings\adamt.GLENTURRET>cd home

I do not think this is a Windows issue.

--
AdamT
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents