Re: rxvt in native mode, widely spaced characters [Was: Re: why "Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in your subject"?]

I wrote:

I am using whatever the CygWin packages and installer installed on my
machine, which evidently changes in non-intuitive ways when I re-run it
to modify the combinations of packages I have installed even though I'm
not (consciously) touching any X11 or font-related packages).

Just now, I tried installing the ruby package, and as soon as I started rxvt,
it started in messed-up form--widely spaced characters, in yellow, on a dark
blue background--rather than the way it started immediately before--normally
spaced characters, in black, on a white background.

Does that color change give any hints regarding what's happening (what
unrelated thing got modified when I re-ran cygwin.exe to install Ruby)?

Hmm. Those colors seem to match what's in /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt:

Rxvt*background: #000040
Rxvt*foreground: #ffffbf
Rxvt*scrollBar: true
Rxvt*scrollBar_right: true
Rxvt*font: -bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*boldfont: -bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-bold-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*saveLines: 10000
!Rxvt*loginshell: true
Rxvt.backspacekey: ^H

What's the command to determine which cygwin package installs that file?

Never mind; I found cygcheck.

I still don't understand what's going on with rxvt.

When I modify or remove /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt, nothing changes.

On one hand, that makes sense--I'm not (knowingly) running X11.

On the other hand, it's a little strange that rxvt is still using the colors
given in that file.  Is rxvt getting them from compiled-in values, or is it
getting them from somewhere else?

(I also terminated all CygWin processes, started bash, and ran rxvt to see
if CygWin somehow was emulating xrdb's behavior (of reading the X11 defaults) some
other way, but there was still no difference.)

In any case, that still leaves unanswered the question of what makes rvxt switch
between normally spaced black characters on a white background vs. widely spaced
yellow on blue.

What else does rxvt read?

Does rxvt switch to some more-basic default (i.e., the black-on-white setting rather
than the yellow-on-blue setting) if it can't find something it's looking for?

What else might be going on?

Thanks, Daniel